Saturday, March 8, 2008

To clarify a bit

In response to a comment on one of my previous posts where I complained a bit about structural analysis views of texts, a classmate advised, "I don't think that you have to allow criticism to destroy your enjoyability of the text." I guess that's not really the argument I was going for. I enjoy reading about the different kinds of criticism, and I think that knowing critical views for examining a text are beneficial for the reader. I even see the rationale and influence that structuralism has on our mindsets about literature. However, I guess I'm basically disagreeing with the specific approach of over-objectifying texts. The prospect of studying literature as a science makes me cringe. I guess the aesthetic qualities of the texts strike me as more worthy of discussion than the categorical makeup.

No comments: